St Peters Lutheran School 20th Anniversary Celebrations
(1999 – 2019)
On Sunday 5 May 2019, our school and church celebrated 20 years at Cumming St, Blackwood.
Our story begins over 20 years ago when our church’s home was at 199 Main Rd, Blackwood (now Hills Veterinary Centre). During the early 90s, our church began to plan for new things. A school was chosen as the ministry focus and St Peters Lutheran School was born. In 1998, the old site was sold and the school and a new church was built on the cow paddocks of what was Minda farms land.
To help commemorate the move, we had a walk from the old church site to the new school/church facility. A glorious Autumn morning greeted about 25 walkers at Hills Vets. Various speakers (including inaugural Principal, Margaret Linke and Ps Henry Palenchus) shared memories of various places of significance along the way, including Blackwood Church of Christ (first Principal’s and school front office) and St Paul of the Cross Catholic Church (worship place while new church was being built).
Thanks to Rebecca Geue for organising a special way give thanks for all that went before.
The cornerstone of our day was then the Thanksgiving Service with a full house of past and present church members, students, families, staff and special guests. Our service had nods to the School’s opening (2 May 1999) by including songs and readings from that service. Members of our church and school community shared readings and prayers as we gave thanks for God’s blessings over the years.
The service highlights included:
- school choirs
- staff, student, church band
- Evie, Rebecca and students sharing the history represented by a blossoming tree which was planted 20 years ago
- Ps Kevin’s message centering on the school’s 4 Pillars of G.R.O.W. (G-od in all things, R-elationships, O-wnership and W-ellbeing)
- school staff were presented with certificates of service for 10, 20 and 30 years
- reflections from our Council Chair, Tim Geue
- a birthday cake cut by Margaret Linke and Pastor Henry Palenchus
A wonderful way to celebrate by giving thanks and praise to our gracious and generous God.
The final part of our day was to enjoy our school. Students showed guests around the school and we sang, skipped, coded and danced our way into a delicious lunch provided by our church community. The staff/student chapel band played as we ate and chatted with old and new friends.
Thank you to everyone who played a part in making our celebration day such an enjoyable and memorable one.
To help us celebrate our 20th anniversary, there are still ways that you can join us:
- The Commemorative 20th Anniversary tree – anyone is welcome to buy a leaf to permanently record your time in this community (please see order form here).
- Celebratory wine – Thanks to Dominic Wines, we are also selling some beautiful 2016 Shiraz and 2017 Sauvignon Blanc (please see order form here).
Join with us as we celebrate our school.